Saturday, March 1, 2008

Independence Day


Here is a brief Korean history lesson for everyone. Korea was under Japanese rule from 1910 to 1946. On March 1st, 1919, many Koreans staged protests against their unwelcomed rulers. Many of the protestors were Christians that were martyred as a result. A declaration was patterned after the United States own declaration of independence. These protests are now considered to be the beginning of the independence of Korea. It is known as The March First Movement and is one of the most important dates in Korea's history. As Sarah and I explored the city today, the Korean flag waved proudly in the sunshine.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for that insightful information. It's very cool that you are there for their Independence Day. FREEDOM! It's a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

That is very cool info. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

By the way, Thanks for the new pictures on flikr.

Steve Haden said...

Any fireworks?

Kate said...

Thank for sharing Korean history with your friends in USA!
But there is just one mistake.
May I correct the error?
Korea was ruled by the Japanese Empire between 1910 and 1945. During 36 years.

Micah & Sarah said...

Thanks, Kate. I'm not even sure where I found that date. Maybe I misread something. I fixed it, sorry for the mistake.