Wednesday, March 5, 2008

At long last

Hi, everyone:) This is Sarah. Abby, you've made a great observation - I have been extremely busy the past couple of weeks - it really picked up momentum towards the end of last week, and it is just now starting to ease up. I've been staying till well after 7 most nights. I've been getting my classroom setup and trying to do lesson planning - it has all been quite the whirlwind of activity! I'll probably be doing a lot more planning this weekend, so I thought I'd take the time now and write. It may be a long post too, because I have a ton of things to tell you all! So, if you've got the time, pull up a chair and enjoy the read (hopefully:)
First of all, do you guys remember the stew for which Esau sold his birthright? Well... I had it for lunch yesterday! The way the stew is translated in the Korean Bible translates into this particular type of stew that I had (and of course, I can't remember the name!). It was made of red beans and some kind of long, spiraly noodle - it was so good! I don't know that it's birthright good, but it was quite delicious!
Yesterday was an awesome day! Though it was the first official day of school, we didn't actually teach. Here, they have a special ceremony to welcome students to their new grade. It began as the students exited the classroom to head up two flights of steps to the sanctuary. All students from the upper grades lined both sides of the hallways and stair wells and cheered at the top of their lungs for these little 1st graders! It gave me chills and I almost started crying as I thought of the significance - I was reminded of "the great cloud of witnesses" that we all have - I wish you all could have seen and heard it! It was loud and crowded - full of students cheering on this next generation! Two flights of stairs mind you!
During the ceremony there was an amazing martial arts performance by 4th and 5th graders. They were kicking and hand chopping through blocks of wood - and then as a climax, two students stepped out with these butcher knives, stuck apples on the tips, and two more students stepped out and kicked these apples from the tips! Everything was really dramatic - as they kicked through stuff, the broken pieces went flying high up in the air. I found out that students here start doing martial arts from 1st grade on. I was really impressed.
As the final part of the ceremony, parents came to their children and prayed for them. Then we (all the home-room teachers, I think there are 5 1st grade classes) passed out brand new Bibles to the students. Tucked inside the covers were letters written by the previous year's 1st graders. Everything was just so neat and really made the children feel very valued and important (which they are). I was very impacted by it all. It would be so cool if we could do something like this for our students in Pittsburg. (I was given one of the Bibles too, by the way:)
Anyway. Today! Today was fabulous:) I finally had students in my classroom for more than just 20 minutes! We still did not do a lot of teaching, as far as curriculum is concerned, but we, of course, spent a lot of time talking about rules and procedures - which is what we'll mostly be doing this week and for even a lot of the next month. The only subject that I'll actually teach for a while is language arts and Q.T. - Quiet Time. This is actually Bible time - it's the first thing we'll do every morning; I will teach this twice a week, my co-teacher will teach it twice a week, and we have chapel on Thursdays. There's actually a Tuesday morning (7:00) chapel just for teachers, and on Mondays there is a devotional time for each "Mini-School". This explanation might really make this post long, but I'll try to be brief. Here's how this school is set up: each grade band (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8) is its own "mini" school - each band has its own principal and "mini" office. The principals report to some other main guy (whose title I can't remember, and "guy" is way too casual of term to use!). It seems to work out really well. Anyway, I had Micah take pictures of my classroom so you could all see it - although there are so many things that I'm already planning to change! So it may not actually stay the way it looks in the pictures - but you'll get to see the huge window wall I have (which I love) and how big the classroom is; I'm pretty pleased with it all. Love you all, and thanks for enduring through my ramblings:) ~Sarah

11 comments:

Joe said...

Sarah,
That is by far the coolest first day of school I have ever heard about. That was a great day. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

I agree with Joe. WOW! Made me tear up. Thanks for all the details! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry it has been a few days since I have last written to you both. I am officially a stay at home mom now. So far I love it tremendously! I think Hannah feels the same way:) I just finished reading through your last two blogs and all the comments. I started to cry when I read Josiah's blog. That is so awesome to hear. It makes me remember the first time I gave my heart to Jesus. I think I was about the same age as Josiah, maybe a little younger. Andrea and I were sitting on our bed and Andrea lead me in prayer. Isn't it great that we can remember times like that even if it was a long time ago? Josiah, the best is yet to come. You will have many encounters with Jesus throughout your life. I hope that when you get to be my age you will still remember that day in Mrs. Harrison's classroom. Micah and Sarah it sounds like the school that you are teaching is wonderful. I couldn't help but feel so excited about the children Sarah talked about in her blog. I love it that they have a sense of legacy in the youth. I love you both and will write again soon.

Love,
Rachel

Mom Sterrett said...

Hello Sarah,
Thanks for such a "newsy" post. I loved every minute of it. Michelle, I cried too. What a tremendous encouragement to younger generations in their culture. I loved that the best.
The stew sounds interesting. I can't wait to see your classroom. (haven't looked at the pictures yet). Will you send your address via my email Sarah? Thank you.
Keep the posts coming. I love to read them all. Give Micah a hug and get one in return.
XXOO,
Mom Sterrett

Joy said...

Wow Sarah! I love this post. It is so amazing how your school is showing value to its children. I hope you can impart many things you are learning there, and I hope we can find new ways to incorporate things like that here. Thanks for taking time to write and include us in this. I know how busy you must be. Know that your time spent sending reports is much appreciated!!!
Joy
Thanks for encouraging Josiah Micah and Rachel. I read the comments to him and he just beamed from ear to ear!

Em said...

Wow! I got shivers up and down my spine when I read that. And, of course, as I usually do when I read your blogs, cried. That really is such an amazing way to start school. I would have been cryin' my eyes out right there with you. That is intense. Thank you for sharing and never be afraid of putting down too many details. As far as I am concerned, that isn't possible when you are talking about the set up way things work there. I love all the insight I can get!
Love you and it is great to hear from you even though, of course, Micah's blogs are hysterical usually. :) You both are such great writers it makes it so great to read what you have written.

Em

Patti said...

i, too, concur with joe -- that sounds like an AMAZING first day of school - i wish i went to a school like that

and sarah, i just have to say, "I don't know if it was birthright good" - that's just hysterical....i was cracking up

Unknown said...

Wow, what an amazing first day. Sarah I know that you are going to have such an amazing impact on those kids. I am grinning from ear to ear right now at the goodness of God and that He has put you in just the right place at the right time to start you teaching career. Those kids are so lucky to have you as their teacher and you are going to be impacted by them in so many ways as well. I can not wait to hear about all the wonderful things that are going to be happening in your classroom. And don't ever worry about your post being to long. We are taking in each and every word and savoring them. I miss you.

Love
Amy

Doug and Denise said...

Wow!
It is great that they value legacy there the way that we do here! You will really have to remember all the ways that they impart that so that we can learn how to do more, too! It is always good to hear from both of you! We love you and miss you!

Denise

Anonymous said...

Sorry that it took me so long to write. I have been busy too with school and homework. I have a great observation. See scool is paying off. I miss you .Abigail
( It is good to hear from Sarah)

Anonymous said...

I spelled school wrong