When we walked into homegroup this past Sunday, it seemed strange that we couldn't understand the language - it felt just like walking into homegroup:) Does that make sense? The people were very welcoming, and the atmosphere had a very "homey" feel to it - which was enough to make both of us get very teary-eyed. We all sat on the floor around a table (as shown in our pictures) which held fruit and cookies and pie. Conversation flowed freely. We started with a time of worship - it was so sweet the way they chose songs that we knew in English. Micah and I were both crying during worship because of how real and heartfelt it was.
All of the homegroups in the church are going through a book right now (of course I can't remember the title!). Not only did every person in the room share about what God had layed on their hearts as they read the book in their quiet time, but they also shared very openly with each other how they were doing in their personal lives. I nearly cried as one couple shared the struggles that they were facing in their marriage and in raising children (people translated for us periodically - several people in the homegroup speak English). Their (the whole homegroup) hearts were open to each other and there was such a bond of trust that was quite evident. We could also feel the Holy Spirit very strongly in the room - again, I just felt like crying because it felt so much like home. At the end, we prayed for everyone. It's so neat how prayer is done here. Everyone prays out simultaneously - and not just little wimpy prayers either! Everyone prays fervently and with such sincerity! As I'm writing this, I just keep thinking, "Why were we having such a hard time figuring out where God was trying to plant us?" I think this homegroup meeting has really solidified in us the knowledge that this really is where God has lead us. As we were leaving, the homeowners told us to drop by any time now that we knew where they lived. It was such a good feeling - and again, seemed so much like home.
The school reminds me of home too (maybe I'm homesick?) - there are several faces that I see at the school who are also involved with the church. And it is so neat to see a girl who teaches special ed. also get up in Thursday morning chapel and lead worship. The staff at the school don't just "punch" their "time cards" and have nothing else to do with anything related to the church or school. These people are here all day every day of the week, and they fulfill multiple functions. They really love the students and are dedicated to seeing them receive a Godly education - for the purpose of raising up a generation who will go out and affect the culture around them towards Godliness.
And this afternoon! It was so lovely and not too unusual for one of my co-workers to drop by and let me know that a group was meeting in her classroom to eat some strawberry pie and drink tea. No other reason, just to hang out. We sat around talking and just enjoying being teachers - it was so great. I just sat there and thought, "How in the world did I of all people get here?" God is so good. So...while we are quite homesick, we're also quite "at home" here too. God is tremendously faithful - His Kingdom transcends cultural bounds. It is awesome to experience that first-hand! We love you all so much, and we cherish your continued prayers - and comments too! They are invaluable to us! Love, Sarah
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I'm so glad you are finding where you need to plug in. God is GOOD! We love you and miss you! Michelle
The home group sounds a lot like ours except in Korean of course. It's so cool that you have found the place where God wants you to be. Miss you, - Shelden
Isn't it amazing that God is the same in every place and every culture! I am so glad that He has connected you with people who have the same love for Him and each other! It helps me not to worry so much about you:)!
Denise
Another wonderful report...thank you for the way you describe things. It does a mother's heart so good to hear these kinds of things when your kids are so far away. I know God is there too but KNOWING God is there is awesome. I already love the people you talk about and cannot wait to actually meet them face to face to express that to them is exciting to me. I want to tell them personally how much I appreciate their care of you. I miss you more than words can express. Hearing your voice was SOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD!
XXOO
Mom Sterrett
Sarah,
That sounds so amazing. It is great to hear that God has provided a place for you both there. He has done such an amazing job at taking care of you guys. It doesn't just do a mother's heart good to hear you are being so well taken care of, it does a sister's heart some good too! :) I love reading about the faithfulness of our Great God.
Em
It is so great that you found a homegroup! It is good to hear from you! I miss you so much! Abigail
That's awesome, Sarah! God has you right where you need to be. I love to hear about His work in your lives. Love you both so much!
Brandy
Tea and strawberry pie! That does make one feel at home, but really, the spirit of God is there, and it is the same spirit of God that dwells here, in Pittsburg. He is so faithful to have put you in a place that is so like home, yet is a world away. What an amazing thing, Sarah. And I am not surprised that you are the one who is there. There is so much in your heart and soul that is valuable, and God is using and will use you above and beyond what you can imagine, what you can dream. His dreams for us are so much bigger than our dreams for ourselves. We miss you guys so much, but it comforts my heart to know that there are people there caring for you and building relationships with you. Love you!
Joy
Reading your blogs and seeing how amazing God is - WOW! I never doubted for a minute that you two would get settled and feel at home there too. I'm a bit jealous of your new friends just because we're not there too! I'm sooo happy for you and for everyone you're getting connected with (just sad for us). It is great seeing that God works everywhere and His vision is so much beyond us or Pburg, KS. It's good to be reminded of that. Love you guys so much and miss you so much... I'm still in denial that you're just on vacation. :)
Post a Comment