Friday, March 7, 2008

Not Pop Dan's


This is a picture of our dinner. Joy posted a picture of Pop Dan's Gravy on her blog. This is all I got. I like Barilla, but this is the first time I've ever had sauce from a pouch. It's not the worst, but it's world's away from Pop Dan's, ovviously.
Last night Sarah and I had our first night on the town. We were reimbursed for our plane tickets, Praise God, so we went out on a date to celebrate. We took a cab to a really happnin area of the city. We ate at an Italian Bistro of sorts. In English I believe it would be pronounced Pizza Hut. We enjoyed the salad bar much more than the one on Quincy. We ordered a pepperoni pan pizza. It tasted just like a Pizza Hut pizza, but we ate it anyway. Just kidding, it was a nice treat. From the window we saw a banner for a grand opening of a new clothing store. The place was huge and we've been wearing the stuff we had packed for three weeks now. We ended up finding some really good 50% off deals on a few great pieces. I got a white button up and a navy sweater vest along with a pack of white undershirts. Sarah got a three really great tops. Tops are just shirts, but girls refuse to call them shirts. I don't get it. At the end of our mini-shopping spree, we each got a scoop of Baskin Robbins. It was a lovely night.
Now, it's Saturday morning and I'm headed to Costco with a group of English teachers. Costco has some American stuff that can be hard to find elsewhere. The school plans a trip every month or so. They're very helpful about everything. We jump in the van in 35 minutes and I'm still in my pj's so I'd better go. We love you! Don't forget to comment!
~Micah

19 comments:

Andrea in Pittsburg said...

Hmmm....pasta sauce in a bag....sounds questionable to me! How's school going for you, Micah? I've gotten to hear about Sarah's classroom and co-teacher, but not yours!
Love you guys heaps and gobs.

Michelle said...

My kids found it funny that you ate at Pizza Hut and Baskin Robbins. :) I'm glad you can have some "comforts" from home there, though. BTW, shirts are like T-shirts. It's way too casual of a word for anything nicer, and if it's not a button-up shirt, then it's got to be a "top". :) That's my take on it. Love you both...

Michelle said...

Hi this is Shelden. I didn't know there were American restaurants in Suwon. Do a lot of food items have there names in Korean? Bailey told me if Obama wins she's going to move in with you. I miss you.

Michelle said...

Hi this is Molly. I miss you Micah and Sarah very very much. Is the food good in Korea? Are hole family misses you guys very much. I hope you guys are having fun in Korea. And i also hope that you guys are having fun teaching. I love you guys Love Molly.

Joy said...

You guys know there is a spot waiting for you at our table always.
Your date sounds like it was fun! I'm so glad you were able to do that. Oh, the boys were thrilled to know that you can get Man vs. Wild there. They love Bear.
We love you guys.
Joy

Patti said...

first of all...gross! spaghetti sauce from a bag - GROSS!!!

we had another m&s-free event this evening. kerri's birthday is monday and a bunch of us went bowling after prayer

i had a blasty-blast (i'm almost sorry to admit it - i feel like i'm betraying you)...but it would have been even more fun if you'd been here - i'll try to get some pics from kerri and post them on my blog so you can crack up at us...i mean with us

btw - i'm not even sure my combined score was over 100 - i'm the most awesome bowler in the world!!!

Micah & Sarah said...

Thanks for all the comments guys:) These are great. Just for the record, we were amazed at how good the spaghetti sauce was in a bag - definitely something that no true Italian could eat, but for us regular people, it is actually better than from a jar:)
And Patti, you're almost as good a bowler as me!
Molly, a lot of the food here is really good, but there is a lot that we are still trying to adjust to - it is definitely way different than food in the U.S.!
Shelden, yes, most of the food here is written in a Korean name - even if it is an American brand, it will be written with Korean letters.
We'd been eye-balling Baskin Robins ever since we got here - there seems to be one everywhere! Icecream is a huge thing here; you can find it in nearly every restaurant, and there are lots of icecream shops around.
Noga's - I can' wait till we can sit around your table and eat some real Italian food! I'm drooling just thinking about it!
Another thing that I could really "go for" right now is good ol' Mall Deli, that sounds so good to me:)Love you all! ~Sarah

Michelle said...

Hi this is Shelden. How do you read everything on the groceries? Have you learned more Korean yet? I'm learning Latin. Mrs. Noga says it is easier to learn other languages if you learn Latin. I think it would be cool to learn Korean. Hope I hear from you soon. -Shelden

Anonymous said...

Good morning Uncle Micah and Auntie Sarah! I showed Hannah the picture of you guys with Kevin and Kate. She said hi. Hey, have you set up skype yet? We should try to see if we can communicate with it.
Love,
Rachel

Michelle said...

Hi this is Molly. I hope i can learn about Korea. I hope i can see you guys again Micah and Sarah. I'm learning guitar and mandolin.Micah & Sarah, I hope you are having fun in Suwon.
I miss you guys a lot. I love you guys very very very very very much. Love Molly.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm sure that that other pasta was not as good as pop's pasta. No one can beat that! I miss you so much.Abigail

Anonymous said...

New pics! Love it!

Joy said...

Isaac again.I had some food from Korea at the culture fair.It was delicious.We miss you.

Michelle said...

Hi this is Molly. I got to eat Korean food on Saturday. And it was good.Do you guys like it Micah and Sarah?I love you guys very very very very very very very very very much. Love Molly.

Micah & Sarah said...

We're so glad to hear from all the young ones! I'm glad you liked the Korean food. Keep going to those events when they come up. It's encouraging to know that you guys are enjoying some of the same foods and cultures that we are. We love you and miss you all very much!

Em said...

Yeah, I gotta be honest. Spaghetti sauce from a bag sounds not great. Hope it worked out all right for you.
Pizza Hut is still my favorite pizza place. I can't help it! It's just delicious. :) It is good that there are a few more familiar places there for you guys.
I am planning to send pictures to you guys of Donovan ASAP. He is huge! At his last appointment, he weighed 16 pounds 8 ounces and was 26 and 1/4 inches long! He is in the 50th percentile in both height and weight and Dr. McDaniel said that we couldn't ask for a more perfect baby. Made me feel proud. :) It is also encouraging that I must be doing something right! LOL.
Well, I love you both and miss you so very much. I keep spreading the word about this blog to people, so even if they don't comment, more people than you realize are reading about the goodness of God.

Em

Michelle said...

Hi this is Molly.Is Micah going to do one of those new hairdos? I miss you guys very much. I love you guys very much. Love Molly.

Mom Sterrett said...

I'm glad you had such a fun date...great memories to tuck away. I'm sorta with the jar pasta sauce myself...that's all I know. Nothing will ever beat Pop Dan's gravy...love and miss you both bunches!
XXOO
Mom Sterrett

Scott said...

If you can't tell, I'm way behind. Which reminds me of my posting...

If women call shirts tops, then why don't they call pants bottoms?

Remember to bring back some good receipes, just not one's made with sauce in a bag.