Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Weekend In Seoul

Hello, everyone! I miss writing to you. I don't think I've written since the great haircut vote of '08. Number 1 was the clear favorite and it's how I was going to do it anyway. Thanks to all who voted! It was a blasty! The real bummer is: I didn't have the heart to tell the girl that she didn't cut enough off, so it feels like I already need another haircut. Next time I'll get more of a 'summer cut', they last longer.
Well, where to begin...? I just spent almost the entire weekend in Seoul. On Saturday, a co-worker of mine took a small group of us to Seoul. He didn't actually take us, the bus did. He just acted as our tour guide. Sarah stayed home to rest and work and I went as a scout. We went to Itaewon which is supposedly geared toward westerners. We ate lunch at Smokey Saloon. It was a tiny hole-in-the-wall burger joint. The burgers were thick, juicy and very much American style. After lunch we went to Myeong Dong. Myeong Dong is a major shopping area. I've read that about 1 million people go through the area every day. I guess you could say I was one-in-a-million! Say it! It was so crowded. There were four of us and if I stopped to take a picture I got cut off from my runnin' crew. John and Amy are the couple from Texas that arrived two weeks ago. James is my co-worker and our tour guide. He's from California and has been here for about a year. I had to wade through a sea of people several times to catch up with them. There were some interesting food vendors in the streets. I got a few decent pictures, but it was hard to take the time necessary to line up my shots. I found a great messenger bag at the Puma store where everything was on sale for 70% off the original price. It cost 7500 won or about $7.50. Sweet! At 5 0'clock James suggested that we go to Outback Steakhouse. I wanted to call Sarah and see how she was doing, so they said we could head back to Suwon, get Sarah and go to the Outback here instead of Seoul. We went home and rescued her from her work and we all went to have dinner. It was very delicious. We had ribs and chicken on the bar-bee. I was just glad that Sarah was able to come with us. It was the only option I could imagine.

On Sunday, we met up with the same folks to visit James' church in Seoul. Jubilee Church. We left Suwon at around 10 am. First we went to a huge bookstore that has a pretty big English section. Sarah got Wicked.(a book about the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz). I was looking for anything by Hwee Hwee Tan, but the computer said they didn't have anything. There were several books that caught my eye, but I couldn't pull the trigger on any. After the bookstore we went to Quizno's for lunch. It was the first time we had ever been to Quizno's anywhere. It was mighty tasty. The church service didn't start until 1:30. There were quite a few westerners in the congregation since it is an English service. Everyone was between 19 and 28 years of age.(not including me, of course). Worship was pretty good eventhough it was quite different from home. The keyboard player is a pop star in Korea. His older brother is the pastor of the church. During the service, we were supposed to recite the Apostle's Creed which includes allegiance to the Holy Catholic Church. We also sang the Doxology which is actually a decent song to sing but it just made us feel like they were trying to appeal to many denominations. We had a fun day, but we are still basically set on going to Kevin and Kate's church from now on. I hope everyone enjoys this post. Love you all ~Micah

13 comments:

Mom Sterrett said...

Good Morning Sarah and Micah,
Another wonderful story Micah. Amy and I are getting ready to leave for church but wanted to check your blog before I left. Since being sick I haven't had much time to check it. I still need to read my email as well. It sounds like you had a fun and interesting time. I'm glad Sarah got to go to dinner with you all. Andrea said Sarah called her...and they cried.
We love you both heaps and gobs.
XXOOO
Mom Sterrett

Anonymous said...

Thank you Micah I very much did enjoy the post! That store sounds so cool! I think I need to visit you to see all of those cool things!(well of course you too)It is so good to hear from you! I love you and miss you. Abigail

Joy said...

Of course we enjoyed the post! Just a heads up on Hwee Hwee Tan, she is very difficult to find. I had to special order Foreign Bodies. If you do not find it soon, please let me know and I will mail you my precious copy. It won't be the first one I've given away. I love the book that much. It's not that it is spectacular in and of itself, but it changes something in me when I read it, and books like that are forever friends. Also, there is a book called Mammon, Inc. by her, but I cannot find an English translation.
Everything you are doing sounds so interesting and exciting. I love reading about it. We think about you guys all the time. The boys want to read what is going on, and wonder out loud sometimes, ". . . what Sarah and Micah are doing now."
Love you guys!!
JOy

Patti said...

hi guys,
micah, it was so good to actually hear your voice last night. you've only been gone a month....but it feels like years

sarah, i think you will really enjoy Wicked. it is one of my favorite books of the past five years. there is also a sequel that is equally as good.

one more for micah - remember the rat with teeth.....i'm still laughing about it

Anonymous said...

I loved your pics a lot!

Chris, Paula & Boys said...

Hi Sarah and Micah, this Paula. I have been reading your post but did not have an account til Colton insisted. Sounds like God has really planted you there and is faithful to meet all your needs. Love ya much

Here is Colton.Hi Micah and Sarah how have Kevin and Kate been? Micah your story about Wedgies in Church was funny. My Mom and I cried when you were talking about building a relationship with one of your students.I have really been missing you guys.I am tirelessly praying for you. Well, talk to you tomorrow love. By for now.

Rana said...

Hi Guys,
I am so behind on reading your blogs. There isn't a computer near the wallpaper I'm tearing off at our new house.
Sounds like things are going well. I love the classroom stories....Micah are you teaching too?
The haircut pics were priceless. I too think you could make it as a tele-evangelist.
Love you,
rana

Anonymous said...

I have felt an urjent need lately to see you I feel like I am going to die!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

Your one in a million Micah!!!! I can't believe you got shoes for $7.50! When I was in forth grade I learned the Doxology in Latin. Of course I can't remember any of it. I haven't written in a long time. I hope I hear from you soon - Shelden P.S.- I love your posts lately.

Jamison said...

Can you find me some of dem shoes? I bet you could eBay them and make mad bank....HAHA. Great reading of your adventures. Keep em coming. P.S. Micah, have you overcome your fear of germs in public restrooms? Just wondering..DJ

Micah & Sarah said...

I don't like germs in any country. I do think that I am growing at least a little bit, though. The Puma store was almost out of shoes. I got a cool bag for $7.50. The shoes were 70% there, too. (maybe I'll get shoes next time).

Scott said...

I can't believe no one said it!

You're one-in-a-million! Really, you guys are awesome.

Jenny said...

A lot of Korean churches recite the Apostles Creed. I've asked a lot of Korean ppl about it and to them it has no Catholic ties. When I point out that it says "I believe in the Holy Catholic Church" in English, they are all surprised and say the meaning isn't the same to them in Korean. You should ask Kate or Kevin about that and see what they say. It's interesting.
You know, my first Baskin Robbins, TGIF, Dunkin Donuts, and Popeye's visits all happened in Korea. lol. Isn't that funny? We travel to Asia to have our first "Western" experiences.^-^