Thursday, March 13, 2008

Enter, Exit

I know I just blogged, but I thought of a school story that I wanted to tell you all - so now you have two new posts to read!
One of my students has Aspergers syndrome - a form of autism. Because of this, it seems he can only hear certain voices - he responds to his mother's voice and to his special ed. teacher and sometimes to the principal's voice. And until about Wednesday, he did not respond to my voice - except to repeat exactly what I'd said, but having no response to it. It's like he hears but doesn't comprehend meaning. I've been praying that God would somehow give me a voice that he would hear and respond to. Well...this Wednesday while at recess, this student just came up to me out of the blue and started playing this game that he'd made up. He would say, "Enter!" and then run towards the play area. Then, he'd shout, "Exit!" and run away from the play area. I started to play too. I'd say, "Enter!" and then we'd both run towards the main play area. Then, I'd shout, "Exit!" and we'd both run the other direction. We both just laughed and laughed as we played - it was such a significant teaching moment for me as I watched him giggle and his eyes light up as I said, "Enter" and "Exit." Even more moving is that now, when we are in the classroom or the class is walking in the hallway and he refuses to budge, I can say, "Enter" and he will come. Or, when he is doing something that he isn't supposed to be doing, I can say, "Exit" and he will stop doing that particular behavior. God heard my voice, and He allowed this precious child to hear my voice too. I know that this is just the beginning too - I can't wait to see how much progress this student will make this year! And here I am, crying all over again! Love, Sarah
PS - I just re-read some comments and people are wanting to know if it is difficult to teach children who don't fully understand English, and for me - yes! Even though the students I teach have a high level of English and are being instructed nearly full-time in English, I still have to consciously speak much slower and use lots of pictures and gestures. I also kind of realized that a lot of their English learning has come via a native Korean speaker, which means my English sounds much different to their ears - so they're not just adjusting to the speed of English they're hearing, they're also adjusting to the sound of English that they're hearing. Anyway, it's quite a challenge, but is also quite rewarding. Like today. I was teaching my after-school class and had read a story with my students - and they were able to tell me exactly what had happened in the story and the order of events, beginning, middle, end, etc. I was so excited that they had been so "into" the story and had followed the story line completely. A wonderful triumph!

16 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, my goodness! That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing such a touching story. Wow! I'm so happy for you...
Michelle

Michelle said...

It's so amazing that God answered your prayers. Me and my sister have been fighting over who gets to get on the computer to get on your blog first. lots of love,- Shelden

Tiffany said...

That was an awesome story! I cried. How amazing is God to hear and answer our prayers. Speaking of prayer, we prayed for you and Micah last night in Revolution. Amy P. prayed for you and then Peter prayed in Korean. It was awesome. We miss you both very much, but knowing you are making an impact in the lives of children who will one day be leaders of their country is so cool. You both are so privileged to get to plant seeds in not just your students but the people God is joining you with. He has a purpose and plan that you might never know, not just for your lives but everyone you touch and impact.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love you both
Tiffany

Doug and Denise said...

I read your blog early this morning and cried because I was so touched by it! God is answering everyone's prayers! We miss you guys very much, but it sure helps to know that God is so faithful and using you so much to fulfill things in your lives and the lives of others!
Denise

Patti said...

sarah - i think that is awesome. when i worked at the center, there was an autistic boy in my class and i know how rewarding it is when they are able and willing to let you into "their world"

i love you

Mom Sterrett said...

Hi Sarah,
So good to hear from you...and such an awe-inspiring story. Just when I think I can read and not cry...
God is so good. That sounds so trite but not meant that way. Words don't ever do Him justice. He is just so incredibly good.
I'm going to get to reading your other posts. Much love and affection.
Mom Sterrett

Em said...

Sarah-
I hope I am typing things correctly as I can't see the screen through my tears. What an incredible story. I am so glad you wrote a second blog to tell us. What a wonderful triumph for you and not only for you to be able to play his little game with him but to be able to speak to him through that same "game" at other times like when he is being a little stubborn and get through to him. Wow! Thank You, Jesus, for Your incredible faithfulness.

I love you and miss you so very much, Sarah. Please, never hesitate to share anything. We all love reading anything and everything you may have to say.

Anonymous said...

I bet it is hard to teach people english who hardly understand it!

Andrea in Pittsburg said...

Thank you, Sarah.

Anonymous said...

I love each blog that you write. Isn't it cool how God creatively answers prayer?! I love you both so much.

Rachel

Jamison said...

That's it, we are moving to Korea. We will be there on Saturday.

Kerri said...

How amazing! I'm already crying from reading Joy's blog and now I really cannot see what I'm even typing.

I'm emotional. This is truly remarkable.

Miss you.

Joy said...

Sarah,
I am in tears as I write this to you. This story is nothing short of miraculous.
I love this. I love God. I love you. Heck, I love that little Korean boy!
You are a great teacher, Sarah.
Joy

bekbrooks said...

Not only is this story amazing, but who knew that when you were praying for that little boy - God would do something in the two of you and all who read this as well. God always goes so much beyond what we even ask Him for. I look forward to hearing what else happens with this child. Sarah, I can't imagine how wonderful it would have to been to have you as my teacher when I was a kid!

aeriole said...

That might be one of the most amazing things i've ever heard! It's amazing what God helped you do with that child! It was amazing how evident God was in that situation. Its crazy how a story can be so touching!It would've been great to be there in that moment when you realized he was responding to you, not just hearing you! All I have left to say is WOW!
And... I love you!

Kerri said...

You're touching all who read this. That is something in itself.