
Hello, Everybody! I am finally taking a moment to write! It's been ages! I have been very busy with school; trying to plan lessons for students with such different English levels is very difficult and incredibly challenging. I have some students who can't even read, and then others who are ready to write novels! Because of this, I have been working extra this week trying to prepare materials so that I can set up learning centers to better reach the needs of more students. I have experienced some really low points because it can really be draining to teach all day to students who can't even understand me. There are several who do understand, but at least half of the students still can barely understand my English, and there are some who can't understand at all. I keep going to God for ideas as to what to do, and there are some really great staff members who have offered me much support and encouragement. It's funny how on one hand I can feel such a huge amount of stress, and even sadness, and yet, on the other hand, there are always such amazing people to offer wise counsel and assurance that the students really are learning and that I will make it as a teacher; I still can't help but cry sometimes because God has just been so good and so faithful to me. And the students that He has given me are such fabulous little people! They are so sweet when they come up to me at random and say to me phrases that I know they have been practicing and practicing; they are funny and hilarious and precious and cute - downright adorable! I had one little girl come to school one day with some new grape-colored glasses - she looked just as cute as can be, which of course I told her. Then, later that day, I noticed that her glasses had no lenses! She was wearing them purely for vanity's sake!! I nearly died of laughter at this discovery! What a quirky and hilarious girl! I wish you all could see her - and all of my students, really. Each one is so special and unique. Everyday I ask God to give me the courage and grace and patience it will take for me to teach them anything.
Micah did home visits this past week, and I the week before. It was one of the most unique and interesting experiences we've ever had. We got the chance to meet all of our students' families and see them in their home environment - it was so neat. All of the families were so hospitable, and we walked away with several gifts (even though they weren't really supposed to give gifts, they just couldn't help themselves!). So sweet and caring. These children have books lining their bedroom walls, and many even had their own offices with books floor to ceiling! It is amazing to see the sacrifice these parents are making to see their children be successful. One thing I have noticed about this culture is that everything has to be the best. If they're going to do something, it is going to be done with excellence - there are no short cuts, no easy-way-outs, no room for average. It blows my mind to watch it all, and it demands that we put our very best effort into this, which is good - no excellent!
As you can see from the picture, I have new glasses. It has been a few years since I've gotten new glasses, so I didn't really know what to expect when Micah and I walked into the eye clinic. I'm not sure what my vision is now, but it must have been considerably worse because I had to watch my step! Everything seemed like it was zooming at me! It took me several days just to adjust to them, but now I can see much better. It's a funny thing, not seeing clearly, because you don't realize how blind you were until you have a new set of lenses - then the difference is overwhelming! Reminds me of when I was first saved; I just didn't know how blind I was until Jesus came along and showed me how things should really look, and this, too, is overwhelming!
We love you all, sorry we haven't written much this past week; I sort of suspected that we wouldn't always be able to write everyday, but I was hoping to keep it up for at least a little bit longer! I'm sure it'll just depend on the week. Thank you for your continued prayer and support. Each comment that is made is so valuable to us! I wish we could reply to every comment! Love to all! ~Sarah
Micah did home visits this past week, and I the week before. It was one of the most unique and interesting experiences we've ever had. We got the chance to meet all of our students' families and see them in their home environment - it was so neat. All of the families were so hospitable, and we walked away with several gifts (even though they weren't really supposed to give gifts, they just couldn't help themselves!). So sweet and caring. These children have books lining their bedroom walls, and many even had their own offices with books floor to ceiling! It is amazing to see the sacrifice these parents are making to see their children be successful. One thing I have noticed about this culture is that everything has to be the best. If they're going to do something, it is going to be done with excellence - there are no short cuts, no easy-way-outs, no room for average. It blows my mind to watch it all, and it demands that we put our very best effort into this, which is good - no excellent!
As you can see from the picture, I have new glasses. It has been a few years since I've gotten new glasses, so I didn't really know what to expect when Micah and I walked into the eye clinic. I'm not sure what my vision is now, but it must have been considerably worse because I had to watch my step! Everything seemed like it was zooming at me! It took me several days just to adjust to them, but now I can see much better. It's a funny thing, not seeing clearly, because you don't realize how blind you were until you have a new set of lenses - then the difference is overwhelming! Reminds me of when I was first saved; I just didn't know how blind I was until Jesus came along and showed me how things should really look, and this, too, is overwhelming!
We love you all, sorry we haven't written much this past week; I sort of suspected that we wouldn't always be able to write everyday, but I was hoping to keep it up for at least a little bit longer! I'm sure it'll just depend on the week. Thank you for your continued prayer and support. Each comment that is made is so valuable to us! I wish we could reply to every comment! Love to all! ~Sarah
16 comments:
It is okay! i am glad that you posted! I love you and miss you so much! ABigail
I understand. You just had a long week. Thats all. I hope you write more posts like this one. It is so interesting to hear about what is happening in Korea. You should put a picture of the kids that you teach on flikr. Its funny that the little girl didn't have any lenses in her glasses.
Lots of love,
Shelden
So, you didn't go with the grape colored glasses for fashion sake, right?
All of your blogs are so encouraging and refreshing (even when they make us cry). I miss you guys so very much! Ethan saw the video of Uncle Micah and kept asking Patti to play it over and over again. Sarah, this is a great picture of you - you look fabulous, love the glasses!
We miss you. We love you. All of a sudden I want to break out into song and sing the song Fievel and Tanya sing to each other...
"And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star
And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky"
:)
Cute specs, I saved that picture to my computer!
The specs in the pic are kind of grape colored...Lasik works good too. Have fun with those kids. -DJ
That's so funny:) I wondered how many people would notice that my glasses were purple:) I never really fancied myself to be a purple-framed glasses girl either. Perhaps Jiho inspired me to take the plunge:) Actually, they were like the only pair of glasses in the store that were narrow enough for my face; I had never really factored in width of face as a hindrance to getting glasses, but a hindrance it was. It was between the purple and a pair of blue-framed glasses; the blue were still just a bit to wide, so I went with the purple:) ~Sarah
Well I loved the purple glasses, which I noticed before I read your blog. I thought you were just being your same fashionable self.
I love to read your blogs and the stories. You and Micah write very well.
I'm sorry we were not home to get your call. I was worried we might miss a call from you. We took Eddine and went to a play at Ft. Scott through the community college. We had fun but not as much fun as we would have speaking with you.
We love and miss you heaps and gobs.
XXOO
Mom Sterrett
I bet Jiho was so excited to see her teacher walk into school with glasses just like hers! :-)
You look just as smashing as ever!
Micah and Sarah,
I want to encourage you to keep on going! We are praying for you! It really is hard to reach kids sometimes, whether they know your "language" or not. I know that you are having a tremendous impact on those kids even if they don't understand all of your "words"! We will keep praying for you to have insight into how to best teach those precious kids! We miss you guys!
Denise
I, too, noticed the new specs before I read your blog. You look fabulous! That's a great picture of you, too. We love you and are praying for you! Thanks for all the updates. Love, Michelle
Cool glasses. That is the first thing I noticed when I saw that picture. Was your student pleased to see that you got glasses like hers? I love hearing about how you are doing.
Love,
Rachel
Yes! My student was thrilled to see my glasses:) She was the first student to notice, and she just grinned ear to ear and pointed at my glasses - it was absolutely darling!
Sarah, thanks for sharing your heart. You have always been so good to do that. I love reading everything that is going on there and in your thoughts. God will give you ideas on how to teach, He's really good at that and so wonderfully faithful. Keep up the great work. I love you so much, Sandy
Sarah, I love the new glasses. You look adorable, as always. You are so encouraging, even when having a difficult time. Keep loving those children, I am confident that they are getting more than you think. We will be praying for both of you. We love you and miss you both. Love, Crystal
Sarah, the camera feed from Skype didn't do the glasses justice. I mean, I thought you looked cute and all, but that picture is downright awesome! They really look great on you. It's fun to kind of "take the plunge" sometimes isn't it? I loved talking to you guys this morning (well, for me this morning). You both look great and I look forward to future conversations to be had. You both are such an encouragement and testimony about the faithfulness and grace of God. It truly is amazing... I love you both so much and miss you like crazy.
Em
Post a Comment