Monday, April 21, 2008

Sad Week

Last week was a bittersweet week for me. I had a great week in Korea and at work and in the midst of it I learned that my last remaining grandmother had passed away. My dad's mother had been in ill health for quite some time. She lived in Frontenac at the nursing home that our church visits. Each time we went on those Sunday afternoons I would seek out my grandmother and Sarah and I would talk to her. She once hollered at one of the nursing home workers then, when they had left the room, she looked at us, grinned and said, "That's how I talk to the help." We laughed and laughed. Helping her smoke felt strange and wrong somehow. It was only one smoke after a lifetime of smoking and I guess it calmed her down. Her favorite candy bar was Mr. Goodbar, definately in my top five. Grandma Bunn, I wish I could have been there. My family understood, but being around them would have been nice. I once read that the reason it hurts so much when someone we care about passes on is that it was never meant to be that way. Death was not in the original plan. Pray for my family. Thanks ~ Micah

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I really liked her, Micah. I could always see where you and your dad got your sense of humor. :) I know it's painful when you cannot be there for the funeral, I had the same thing happen, but I am praying for you.

Mom Sterrett said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother Micah. For some reason I had thought she'd already passed away. Made me feel really bad.
Love you and I'm truly sorry about your loss.
Mom Sterrett

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry!

Joy said...

Micah and Sarah
I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Your last thought was beautiful and true - it wasn't meant to be this way. May God comfort you and be with you as you grieve your loss. I am praying for you!
Joy

Shelden said...

I feel bad for you. I hope things get better. Sorry about your loss. Lots of love,


-Shelden

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry for your loss :( i promise i'll make sure i keep your family in prayers.
Toddles!
Dolphin

Em said...

Hey Micah,
I am sorry about the passing of your grandmother and about your not being able to be with your family at this time. I've never heard death talked about the way you did at the end of your blog. I think about you and pray for you often. Moreso than I am able to express. I love you both so much.