Monday, April 14, 2008

Spring is Here






Such a beautiful day today. As I walked up the steep incline to our house, I was distracted by all the trees in full bloom - the sun casting a warm glow through their branches, as a gentle breeze made the blossoms softly sway. I took in a deep, cleansing breath and let the weekend exhaustion from working late roll away. I have been working a lot of extra hours trying to prepare for the learning centers that I mentioned in a previous post. The hours of hard work don't seem to quite matter anymore. God is good. It is Monday, and life has moved on. All the labor of the previous week and weekend paid off - smooth sailing today. Home at a decent hour.
And now I'm free to enjoy this calming weather. I love that spring makes me feel new too - design of God perhaps? As my thoughts continue to meander, I remember a couple of positive things that happened (though there were several) today. First, I was given a compliment by a staff member today. She said that I am a good teacher - that it is not easy to prepare all those materials. I'd never really thought of the ability to gather and make good materials as an aspect of being a good teacher, but her saying that really meant a lot to me - and, again, made me feel like the extra work wasn't for naught. Second, Micah and I were invited to dinner on Thursday night by one of the second grade teachers. It was such a sweet gesture, and something to look forward to all week. Life here is going well, many adjustments, of course, but going really well. The understanding, support, and comfort that people here have shown continues to overwhelm us. Please continue to pray for our health and strength to adjust to the newness of everything. Strange how we can have made so many adjustments already and still have so many more to face - perhaps this is why culture shock can really overwhelm people; it's not so much that any one adjustment is too difficult to face, it's just that they keep piling up. Some days we feel like we're still at home and we're having a great time; some days we feel like hiding under our bed and not coming out (haha)! All in all though, I believe things are going great, and we feel very confident that God brought us here, and He will continue to lead, guide, and care for us. We have so much to be thankful for! Love, Sarah






12 comments:

Joy said...

Gorgeous photos, guys! I looks so beautiful there. We had a little cold snap here this weekend, which is always hard once the weather starts to change. You simply want to move on into spring, and it seems winter keeps pulling back into it's icy grasp. But I think it will warm up this week.
It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job of teaching and meeting the challenges of classroom prep and all the extra work that comes with being a teacher. It really can be one if the most time consuming jobs because your work does not stop when you finish teaching for the day and leave the classroom. In fact, it just begins. Prep work is so important.
It is hard work and time consuming, but really, I don't think there is another job out there that is more important than teaching. Some days this may be a small comfort to you, but it is true, and from everything I've read so far, I think you are an A1 super teacher. You have the love for the students and the determination to do the hard work. It is a balance that few teachers, even seasoned ones, can achieve with success. I'm so proud of you and so awed every time I read one of your posts.
Love and miss you!!!
J

Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug and Denise said...

Wow! It is really beautiful there! We really miss you guys, but realize that you are learning so many things that are so valuable for the call of God on your lives!

Denise

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah!
It is so good to hear from you! I love those photos! It is so pretty there! I am so glad that everything is working out okay there! I love spring! I so much wish that I could come and visit you there! I miss you so much and continue to pray for God's great goodness will continue to follow you! Love you! Abigail

Anonymous said...

Are Kevin and Kate naming Their baby Kevin Jr. if it is a boy?! That is so cute!

Mom Sterrett said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures! How awe inspiring when spring comes after a hard winter. God has His ways of encouraging us on in spite of "life" happening.

I loved talking with you the other evening. Makes you not seem so far away. I miss you though, always. Can someone tell me, does this ever really truly go away? I'm sort of new at this.

Thank you for all the lovely pictures and the words of encouragement. I love to hear all about your life there and what God does everyday in your life. It encourages me greatly.

Much love and affection to you both.
Mom Sterrett

Shelden said...

It was springtime weather here,but then we got winter weather. I love the photos that you put on your blog. I have been missing you guys here. Its hard not having someone to make you laugh once in a while.[Micah] You should see all the new babies in the church. Some time in April the Harley's had their baby. He is so cute. He shivers when he sleeps. I heard you got to talk to your family on the internet. And I heard you got to see pictures of Donavan and Henry. I can't believe how big they are getting. Daniel is growing with them also. Can you believe he is going to be one in two months. My dad has been working a lot lately. He's working today! Thats okay though,because he gets money for his family. He hardly runs any calls though. I also cannot wait until school gets out in a couple of weeks,well more than a couple of weeks. But the weeks are going fast. Before I know it I'm going to be eleven,and school will be out. I miss you guys so much. Lots of love,


-Shelden

Sandy Vinardi said...

Sarah, you have amazing writing ability. Your descriptions of what you saw and felt were incredible. You are a pro, girl. Thanks for sharing, I love it. Spring has always been such a wonderful time for me as I plant and enjoy the countryside. The flowers, trees, clouds....everything is just so beautiful after the long winter months of colorless, dead-looking landscape. Keep up the great work as an awesome teacher. God is so at work through the both of you. I love you so much, Sandy

Anonymous said...

I love the beautiful pictures. Mom asked me when Ryan and I are going to have a family picture done. I replyed "When Micah is here to take it:)" She said that will be two years, however when I saw the pictures that you posted it may be earlier:) Maybe we will have to have a family picture taken in Korea!
Rachel

Kerri said...

Gorgeous photos Micah! Glad things are going so smoothly for you two.

Miss you dearly,
Kerri

Em said...

Beautiful pictures! I am so glad that spring is finally here (and there). It is so refreshing to step outside and breathe in all the freshness. It can be one of the most refreshing things. I am so glad that God gives us those times. I am glad that you can get a bit of a break now, Sarah. I know you still have a lot more work ahead of you, but at least you have accomplished that feat. I love you guys! I think about you often and am sure to talk about your both to Donovan.