Monday, April 28, 2008

Rolling Days

My how the days are rolling by! I can't believe it has already been a whole week since one of us last posted! Time is seriously flying by! We had another full and great week. My learning centers continue to be successful, praise God, and by some miracle, the students are learning! On Wednesday, I was involved, quite unexpectedly, in a prayer meeting. I was told either that morning or right before I left on Tuesday that we were going to have a prayer meeting while my students were off to their other classes, a 2 hour period of time. I didn't really know what to expect. It turns out that all of the mothers of my students gathered together in my classroom, along with Joshua (my co-teacher for those of you just tuning in:). They started off by singing a song of blessing to me and then praying for me. I cried my eyes out, though I tried not to. We then prayed for the school, the parents, and the students. It was incredibly powerful. We prayed for God's wisdom in showing us how to guide each child into what he/she was designed by God to be - that God would preserve their destinies and show us how to unlock their gifts and graces. How amazing is that!
After praying, things turned into more of a meeting mode where parents shared positive things that they are seeing in their children through this program, and areas that they would like to see improved. In my head I kept thinking "pros and cons" and I was worried about the cons, even though I really wanted suggestions on ways to improve this program for the students. However, I discovered - and was very humbled - that each mother was very greatful for what they were seeing in their children and were too embarrassed by their own English to thank me themselves. Joshua had to translate. Needless to say, by the end of it all, I was a blubbering mess! After the meeting, mothers kept coming up to me and giving me great big hugs and telling me that they understood how difficult it is to adjust to a new culture, and that they know that I am working so hard and that they're so thankful that I'm here teaching their children! They're worried that I'll have too much on my plate...I was overcome with emotion! They showed me such grace and kindness, encouragement and understanding. And now I just keep thinking "how awesome is this!" If I were in the States right now as a first year teacher, I would totally not be receiving such support, understanding, and encouragement as I am now! I see all the more clearly that God placed me here on purpose. Sometimes I hate the fact that I'm one of those people who requires large amounts of encouragement to even halfway believe that what I'm doing does matter and that I am making progress, and yet, God always seems to allow me that encouragement just the same. I totally don't deserve it, and I often wish I could just "suck it up" and "get over it" - and maybe there are times for that, but how thankful I am for these times when God finds way to send a monsoon of encouragement my way. They get me through the "suck it up" moments in life. Love you all, Sarah

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah,

I miss you so much. I still haven't figured out to use skype, but I think I will try to conquer it soon. What is the best day for me to try to contact you? That is an amazing story you shared. It is not only encouraging to you but very good for me to read. Hannah and Henry are both getting so big. I don't have any new pictures of them, however, I will try to take so this week. I love you.

Rachel

Steve Haden said...

Sorry for not commenting lately... But I just wanted to let you how incredibly encourage for you I am every time I get a chance to catch up on your blog. Keep up the good fight guys, you're doing awesome!!

Mom Sterrett said...

Hello Again,
Wow, how incredibly encouraging! I am always amazed by God's goodness to all of us. Keep up the good work! I wish I could give each of your children and their mothers a huge hug and tell them thank you for all they do to encourage you and hold you up. I always think the same thing of our international students of how difficult it must be to be so far away from home. I'm sure they miss the familiarity of home so much.

I do have a little news that Rachel didn't. I met Andrea at the emergency room last evening with Henry as he had screamed pretty much all afternoon. Andrea did not know if it was him missing his papa (Obi was in Makato this weekend) or something else. It turned out to be double ear infections, one being quite bad. They were able to give him drops to ease the pain and also put him on an antibiotic. Andrea was much relieved.

Everyone here misses you so much but we are very grateful for what God is doing in you and through you both.
XXOO,
Mom Sterrett

Michelle said...

Wow! That is incredible. What a testimony of the goodness of God and His lovingkindness to us. We love you and miss you. Thank you for updating us.

Doug and Denise said...

Wow! They seem to have good ways to encourage each other at the school there. Do they do the same thing in each classroom? We had a teacher inservice here where we spent a good amount of time encouraging each other. We didn't have the parents here, but hearing encouraging things from your peers that are also laying down their lives for the kids is so helpful and inspiring. We really miss you guys and continue to pray for you! God is so faithful!

Love,

Denise

Shelden said...

I can't believe how many weeks are flying by! Can you believe it has already been almost three months since you moved to Korea!!!!!! It's amazing how God can do so many miraculous things in three months. I'm going to be 11 in less than two weeks. I miss you so much!!! Lots of love,


-Shelden

Anonymous said...

God is so amazing! I am so glad that you have so much support! I miss you so much! By the way, I want to know when you can come down for a visit? Love ya,
Abigail

Em said...

Oh Sarah,
I miss you so much. Skype has been great, but, obviously, is still not the same. I wish I could wrap you up in a great big hug as those ladies were able to do. What a blessing you are to all of us. God has given us all such great gifts in the form of you two. Thank you for your continued faithfulness. I love you guys!

Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.