Saturday, February 21, 2009

Reading Aloud is Fun

Sarah and I have recently finished reading a very enlightening book. It's titled The Read~Aloud Handbook. The book discusses the practice of reading books out loud. (had you already guessed as much?)The author has compiled numerous statistics that show the link between academic achievement and students that had been read aloud to throughout their lives. The bond between the reader and the listener is strengthened and the listener builds a positive feeling toward reading that can last a lifetime. I am writing this post to encourage all the parents we know to begin or continue to read to your children. The benefits are great and the investment into your children's lives is well worth the time spent. It is also something that I will be doing in the classroom. All teachers should also be encouraged to read aloud to your students. The book itself is an easy read and includes a great list of suggestions for books to read to all different ages of children. The author is Jim Trelease. I have a feeling the Pittsburg Public Library has a copy of the book as well as many of the titles that the book suggests. We don't have children yet. I read to Sarah. She loves it. I love it. It's fun!

14 comments:

Andrea in Pittsburg said...

Reading aloud is wonderful! One of Mom and I's best memories is me reading "Are You My Mother?" to her in the middle of the grocery store aisle. Obi and Henry love it when I read to them too, but no one ever reads to me :-(

Heaps and gobs,
Ange

Anonymous said...

very cool

Anonymous said...

Man... for years I have been reading inloud and giving myself a massive brainache. I've had it so backward.

Steve Haden said...

Good thoughts! Bedtime stories or Bible reading is a great time to build those bonds with you kids.

Anonymous said...

Ryan and I started reading together on our honeymoon. He and I both enjoy it. We read a couple of books together each year. We love Randy Alcorn novels.

Crystal said...

I fall asleep when Jay reads to me. I don't know if that is a good thing. I do like to read to Bethany, but she wants to do all of the reading right now. I don't read aloud to Bailey and Ben as much, but you are inspiring me to start back up. We will have to start a book this week!! I will let you know how that goes. Way to spur me on.

Michelle said...

I read to my class a lot. I don't know if they like it, but I like to read aloud. I used to read more out loud to my kids, but not really in the last year. Most of them are like me and focus better when they read it themselves. Fortunately Dennis likes for me to read to him. He can focus better being read to. Reading. It's a wonderful thing!

Sandy Vinardi said...

I love reading to people and so believe in it's importance. I read to my children alot, in fact, I still read to Amber and she still loves it as much as when she was little. I also have always read to my class, many of them still remember some of the books we read together. I always have loved it when I get to the end of the chapter and everyone says "NO NO YOU CAN'T STOP THERE!!!!!" Books can take you on incredible adventures. Sarah I remember some of the books I have read to you, what great memories, and I also remember you being such a great listener and learner. What an inspiration to one reading, thanks. Love you guys soooooooooooo much, Sandy

Anonymous said...

O.K. Did anybody else think Crystal's first line was hilarious? I about fell out of my chair because I was laughing so hard. I think I tell Jay his wife thinks he is boring:)

Kerri said...

Phil and I read a Dean Koontz novel to each other. It was a great bonding time and we both really enjoyed it. I actually love when Phil reads Super Fudge to the boys as he gets SO animated and we all just eat it up. We read the bible together aloud as well, that's always the best.

Great blog!

Patti said...

i really don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said and everyone knows my stance on reading aloud, to yourself otherwise - just do it (props to nike). i'm basically writing so i can tell you that the "security word" is nontized. yep....nontized. sounds like it could be a real word...but more importantly sounds like something jim would say to dwight.
love you and miss you.

Kerri said...

Jim and Dwight are making appearences even in our blogging. I love it!

My word is "culani". Sounds like a nice italian word.

Andrea in Pittsburg said...

We need another post!

Unknown said...

I love to read aloud. Andrea I will read to you anytime :) There is something magical that happens when you dive into a story with someone else. The words spoken instead of read sometimes allow your emagination to see more vividly especially if the person reading is expressive. I love you Micah and Sarah.