Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Christmas in July!

Micah & Sarah & Kimi From Suwon. Yes, Kimi has made it safely to South Korea. Not only has she graced us with her presence, but she brought us presents. Part of it was a care package from my mom. The rest was stuff she just bought for us before she left. Patti and Amy put in their input as to things we might like. We also received some great mail. Pictures from family, letters and cards from some of our friends. We are enjoying everything!
Sarah and Kimi are having loads of fun with Sarah's students. Today, they went to a big play room with four of the students. There was popcorn and smoothies and ball pits. I'll let them add any details or pictures that they would like to add. I'm tired. Please forgive my lack of enthusiasm in this post. I've been doing non-stop grades all week. I hope to be finished by the end of the day tomorrow. I have to write comments on over 100 students and then give them each 4 different letter grades. 1 for reading, writing, listening and speaking. Time consuming but satisfying work.

Much love to my peeps, I'm out ~Micah


From Sarah:
Kimi and I had a hilarious time this afternoon with 4 of my students. These 4 students have worked extra hard this semester learning how to read - I facilitated a Hooked on Phonics session for them every Wednesday this past semester; and now that they've completed their books, we celebrated by going out for smoothies and popcorn. We then went to the Teddy Bear Museum, which has all sorts of, well, Teddy Bears; but, as Micah mentioned, their was a huge ball pit that we played in for about an hour! I couldn't even believe how much fun I had acting like a total lunatic throwing little plastic balls at little children! They ganged up against Kimi and I and it was an all out war! When the moms came and picked us up, we were all exhausted! The kids' hair were soaked with sweat. One of the moms dropped us (Kimi and I and 3 of the kids) back off to the school, and I just cracked up looking at them flaked out in the back seat, munching on left over popcorn. One girl didn't even lift her head from the seat - her hand just aimlessly dragged popcorn from the bowl and barely dropped a little fistful into her mouth. I grin now even reminiscing. I get payed for this!
It has been awesome to have Kimi here, and I love that she gets to see what we're seeing. The gifts she brought were a delight to receive - and there were some near ugly cry episodes as we read letters, looked at pictures and giggled over American brands that we'd totally forgotten about! Who would've guessed that I could forget about Golden Grahams so quickly?! And I hope that my teeth don't fall rotten out of my mouth as I munch on my new batch of Nerd ropes! Have I mentioned the Honey Almond Accents yet? We are spoiled! Thank you to all of our wonderful friends and family!
Last week was quite stressful for me - which is almost laughable because nothing bad actually happened. I was in high-stress situations that I assumed would be bad, and my own melo-dramatic outlook got me all worked up. I came home crying my eyes out to Micah, who was bravely bracing himself for the bad news. By the time I finished my story to him he just stared at me and blinked. When was I going to tell him the bad news? In order to save time, I will let my mom and dad retell the story (if they can); but let's just say that parents came in to observe my afterschool classes last week, and I was very stressed out at the thought of them coming to one of those classes because I have had an extremely rough semester with the children in that particular class. I have been overwhelmed, however, by the amazing and supportive parents that I have this year. And this week I received a letter from one of the moms that made me ball my eyes out. I will probably carry it in my pocket for the rest of my life. God is so good. Why did I have no faith that He would work everything out? He is the One who brought me here afterall!
Well, it is getting late here, and this post is becoming too lengthy! I will say goodnight for now. We value your prayers and comments. Love to all! ~Sarah

7 comments:

Patti said...

i'm so glad you're having a good time with kimi and that you loved all of your presents.

miss you guys too much.

Mom Sterrett said...

I would have given just about anything to watch you and Kimi with the students in the ball pit Sarah! Sounds like so much fun.

Micah I'm glad for your sake that by the time you read this note, you will have made it through all the grading, etc. Made me tired just to think what you were going through.

Glad you both have God on your side. He is the BEST!

P.S. Sarah I was amused at some of the misuse of the spelling of a couple of words this time, mainly their and payed. Cute. I had a good giggle over this.

Love you both MUCH! Miss you!
XXOO
Mom Sterrett

Anonymous said...

I already miss Kimi and of course I miss you micah and sarah. I cannot wait for you to visit at christmas! Sounds like you guys are having a great time! love ya!

Joy said...

Sarah,
A post from you "too lengthy"?? Never! I would read a million more words from you! I am so glad that Kimi is there with you, a familiar face (though I wish it were mine), and it's so much fun to get goodies!
Sarah, have you ever read Hinds Feet in High Places? Sometimes your posts make me think of that book. We can become "much afraid" sometimes, but in the end we realize that Jesus has been with us the whole journey through. He is so good to us that way. And the hard times help us grow, again, something we usually appreciate after the process, but beauty comes in the end, like a flower that must push through dirt, struggle and stretch toward the sun. In the end though, it blooms like crazy! And that is you! Blooming!
Micah, hang in my brotha! It will be over soon, and then you can . . . what will you do when it is all over?
Love you both and you are in our thoughts and prayers always!!!
Joy

Steve Haden said...

Hey Kimi, I need you to do overhead this coming Sunday, could you come back and take care of that?

Shelden said...

I'm so glad Kimi made it there safely and is having a good time. hope to here from you again soon.

Em said...

I hope you got some rest, Micah.
Sarah~ Your description of the ball pits sounds absolutely hysterical! I am glad that you guys are having a good time with Kimi there. It stinks that I couldn't contribute to the pile of stuff that you guys got though. I would love to write you letters, but I don't have an address to send them to. Can you help me out?
Well, I miss you terribly, but am glad that Kimi is there with you guys, even though it sucks that I'm not. :) I love and miss you HEAPS AND GOBS!