Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Advent 3 (or Don't Give Your Blog Posts More Than One Title).



Luke 2: 8-12 There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. Suddenly, God's angel stood among them and God's glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, "Don't be afraid. I'm here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David's town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. This is what you're to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger." The Message
This morning, I have the task of sharing a sermonette with the 5th and 6th grade students. I'll be talking about the difference between Saint Nicholas (the real, Christian man that lived a life that reflected Jesus), and Santa Claus (the imagined, secular elf-man that didn't actually live at all). It's sad to watch the secularization of Christmas. The transformation of Saint Nicholas was much like what still goes on today. They removed all symbols of Christianity, made him fat, and called him Santa. Saint Nicholas is said to have been quiet and humble in his giving. Santa is always yelling HO HO HO! and shows up with jingle bells and livestock on your roof! Not quiet, not humble, not Christ-like.
Let's live lives that point back to Jesus.

4 comments:

EllenBeth said...

*****, five stars for a great post! What a great way to remind kids (and me) what the Christmas season is all about.

Patti said...

That is a really cool picture. Kudos.
....oh.....and that Jesus stuff was alright, too. ;)

Mom Sterrett said...

Wow Micah. Thank you for sharing like you did. I agree with Ellen. Five huge stars.

I'm thinking of you today, especially because it's your birthday. I hope you have a happy one. Miss you. Miss Sarah. Love you both.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Micah and Sarah! Great post!!