Greetings to all! It's nice to see that people are not only reading our blog, but demanding more from us! I wish that I had something interesting to say, but I don't; however, if I wait for something more interesting to happen, it may be awhile before I post something, so, here goes!
Micah and I are both really pumped about this school year. We both have a new resolve for how we want our classrooms to run, and new ideas that we'd like to incorporate. I am excited to have a new batch of students to teach. My special needs student this year has Down's Syndrome. She is probably the most adorable little person I've ever met in my life! She has this particularly cute habit of looking at people over the rims of her coke bottle glasses. And I love it when I'm trying to explain something to her and she starts to nod her head vigorously and say, "Ok, ok, ok, k-k-k!" She gets faster and faster as she says "ok" until all I can hear is the "k!" She can be really stubborn - but that somehow makes her all more adorable! Anyway, I'm really impressed with the ability level (in reference to level of English proficiency) of my students this year. Last year at this time I was getting blank stares from my students. This year though my students are already interacting during class and not afraid to use their English; I'm really excited at the potential this school year holds!
In other news, we've been reading like crazy! I'm currently reading three books (ok, so I have this bad habit of reading multiple books at a time, I just hate waiting to start a new book!). I'm reading Laughing Matters by Phil Callaway, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, and Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire by Rafe Esquith. I'm really enjoying each of these books for totally separate reasons. Laughing Matters is a nice, light read, while A Tale of Two Cities provokes my imagination and emotions. Lastly, Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire is a read that challenges me not only professionally, but also morally. I definitely recommend this book to anyone working with children (although I'm only about halfway through, the 2nd chapter alone makes it worth the money) (1st chapter was great too, but it's that 2nd one that'll really getcha! I think I need to re-read that chapter until I really get it). In addition to those reads (and my Bible - yes! I do read my Bible! I just finished the book of Ruth, which I adore!), Micah and I are reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo outloud together; we're on the fifth chapter, and I think it makes a wonderful read-aloud. Children (and adults:) would really enjoy hearing this, and from what I can tell, Edward's journey is a journey of discovering how to love.
Lastly, it looks like Micah's going to join a gym with one of our fellow co-workers, and we just started a Korean class (held on Saturdays from 10-1 for me, 10:30-12:30 for Micah) this past week. Micah made it into the advanced-beginner's class! I was so proud of him! I am in the regular old beginner's class - oh well. I have started up piano lessons again, and I'm getting ready to move up to the next book, which is very exciting for me! Makes me feel like I really am making progress. Additionally (this is for you, Bekah:), I am in the process of writing a new song. It's pretty simple, the lyrics aren't that original, and I'm sure no one will ever hear it, but it feels good to be penning down some tunes again. Micah's also writing some stuff - stories and such, but I'll let him tell you about that when he's ready. We're both just happy to be alive and in the center of God's will for our lives. We love you and are so thankful that you've been such faithful friends to us. Love, Sarah
13 comments:
Those pictures are adorable!!! Thank you!
Thank you for listening to your public and responding promptly.
The pictures are great - cute kids.
I love that Joy and aren't the only ones who read multiple books at a time. I read "Edward Tulane" a few years ago and gave it to Isaac. It's a great book....a wonderful journey. I'm currently reading "Despereaux" to my third grade class. I love that book. She is such an amazing writer.
I've been missing you guys a lot lately. Life is......well, life.
So glad to hear that both of you are writing something.
Love you,
Future Dwight
Wow, what an encouraging and inspiring blog today. I was also challenged to do much better in several areas of my own life. You are both so AWESOME! I'm so happy for all the things you are reaching for and the positive approach you have in doing so. Makes me want to really get saved. I love what God is doing in and through you both. That was so apparent when you were home that it makes me want to cry to think about it.
Love you both heaps and gobs!
mom
P.S. I forgot to say I LOVED the pictures!
How stinking cute are those kids! (Very!) I especially think the girl with the round-Harry-Potter glasses is adorable. You two amaze me and it's so wonderful to see him working in you through those kids. And working in those kids through you two.
I hope to be like you when I grow up. You're both amazing.
Great pictures! sorry I am the latecomer, hope it is okay if I still respond. I am encouraged every time you talk about your students. You two are amazing and inspiring. I too, like to read multiple books at once. I rarely read fiction though, but you are making me want to. This is good!! I hope the two of you are going to share what you are writing with the rest of us, I will be praying for both of you. Love you and miss you!
Great post!! The kids are so adorable! And Sarah, I love that you are what I call a "simultaneous reader." Welcome to the club! I have always wanted to read "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire." Now, it's on my list for sure! I also love that you and Micah are writing. That's awesome. I'd love to see the end results! Will you share? Love and miss you guys!!
J
I love the pics of your kids. You inspire me to read more. I normally have several bks going but have been in a lull lately. Crazy Love is a good book but I don't remember the author. Looking forward to another dinner party.....someday.
Love you both
I absolutely adore that you read more than one book at a time. I have always done that and been made fun of for it. I miss you guy's so much and hope your school year is going really well.
Do you think you could sneak one or two of these adorable kiddos back with you?
Love the pictures! I miss you guys so much! Can't wait to see you!
P.s. I love you!
Love- Molly
Your students are so cute!!!!!!
Post a Comment