As many of you may have heard, I went on an island adventure with the sixth grade students last week. We went to Cheju Do, (chay-ju doe). If you were to look at a map of Korea, you would see a rather large island off the southern coast of the peninsula. That's her. It is a beautiful place that many describe as a Korean Hawaii. The island was created by volcanic activity. There are some amazing formations of volcanic rock around the coastline.
We spent four days touring around the island. We took a submarine ride which was very interesting. We hiked down into a cave that consisted of a cavernous tube that had formed in the molten hot magma. Don't worry, the magma has cooled off considerably. In fact, it was about 90 degrees in the sunshine and about 65 degrees in the cave. There was freezing cold water dripping from the ceiling of the cave. I was hoping that I wouldn't encounter any vampire bats and I don't think I did, but it was pretty dark in there.
The trip was partially described by Sarah in the previous post. Each night, we would head to the youth hostel for a worship service and message. I played a set of Roland electronic drums for the worship service every night. I didn't have a monitor and I couldn't hear much of what I was playing. I was told that it sounded pretty good overall.
I was really upset at the way some of the kids acted during worship. When I talked to our chaplain about the situation he said, "Maybe it's because they're tired?" I said it was not from being tired. After a couple more suggestions he asked if it was the "darkness". I said, "That's the one." I was appalled at some of the behavior I witnessed. The way I see it, I have the next four months to do my part to help these kids before they hit junior high. At one of my low moments, the students began nominating their fellow students to receive a song of blessing. It was great to watch. After that, they sang a blessing to the teachers and gave out hugs. I got hugs from two very sweet kids. God reminded me of the scripture that Pop Dan assigned to me before we left: Psalm 27. You know the song, "I would have despaired unless I had believed that I'd see Your glory." I can be brokenhearted for these kids, but I don't have to despair. God is firmly seated on His throne and I will see His goodness in the exuberant Earth.
Speaking of, we were thrilled to tears to hear the great news from the Butler camp!
The island adventure was fun, but very exhausting. I had to sleep on mats on the floor without my wife. It was miserable and wonderful depending on my immediate circumstances. That reminds me of the kids' memory verse this week. I Thessalonians 5:16 -17. Read it, it's a good 'n'.
Love to all,
Micah
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
that scripture from thessalonians is a good one and definitely one that will come in handy for you as God shows you how to handle your class. the best advice i can give you is to be an example. if i may borrow a bit from ghandi, "be the change you wish to see in the world".
love you - i'm counting the days until christmas :) when you get home remind me to sing you the "bad cats" song
Hi, Sarah and Micah,
I am back at school which means I am at a computer again, so I just wanted you to know that even though you haven't heard from me, I still have thought about you lots this summer. I miss you lots still. Brad moved into the house you guys used to live in on the campus, so I was really thinking about you yesterday when I was there to see him. Hang in there, you guys are doing an incredible job and I love reading about everything you are going through. God is so faithful! Sandy
Katie says hi, and says sorry for not commenting. That island sounds awesome! I need to meet your students they sound great!Well, our school year is off to a great start. Everybodys missing you more and more(including me). Love ya!
please ignore my bad spelling and grammar
Dear Micah and Sarah,
It has been great reading your updates. We still haven't fixed the sound problem with our computer so I haven't been able to hear your videos. We had family dinner tonight. Amber kicked our hind parts in Scrabble tonight. She used all seven of her letters twice in one game. That has to be a record. Once again, your presence was missed. I can't wait until December!
Love,
Rachel
Hello Sarah and Micah,
It's good to see your blog up and running again and hearing all the news. It was great to see first hand the work God has been doing. Sometimes when we are in the "middle of it" we fail to see the blessings God has given along the way...He has been moving mightily and I expect Him to continue to do so. You're always in my thoughts and prayers. XXOO. Love you heaps and gobs
Mom Sterrett
Hey Micah and Sarah!
I hope everything is going well for you. I miss you both so much. I hope this next semester goes well! I can't wait to see you in December. Love you both very much.
Em
Nice feet?
What was that all about? And nice feet Micah.
peace, Love Molly
Post a Comment