Whew! Our blog is finally up and running again. We're not sure why, but sometimes the blogger site is broken from our end of things, which means we can't post anything! So, anyway, sorry for the long delay in updates. As you probably know already, we just had some wonderful visits from Kimi and our mothers. It was SO GOOD to see them! And it served to make us miss everyone all the more - but it did give us a boost until Christmas time when we can see everyone! We will find out this next week exactly when we can leave here to visit home - school here is technically in session through the 24th of December! We will try to leave here on the 23rd day (insane travelling ahead I'm sure!) and be home in time for Christmas. We should be able to stay for almost (if not all) all of January, so it'll be a nice long visit. Can't wait!
We've had such a good time getting to know people here, but it will be nice to see familiar faces and catch up with everyone back home - there's just something about talking to people who already know you!
Micah just got back from a long and tiring school trip. He had some fun, but it gave him a good chance to see how students are really doing. While he was pleasantly surprised by some students (think of this retreat as a sort of Rock the Planet summer-camp thing) and how soft they were to God, there were a handful of students that are not doing well at all. He was really saddened over one student in particular who seems very hard towards God, and in fact is pretty bent on being rebellious. And this kid seems to be actively trying to negatively influence his peers. Not a good situation - we would really appreciate prayer for this student. He's a young boy in the 6th grade. We don't really know anything about his family situation. Micah really felt the boy should probably be expelled from the school for some of the behavior he displayed, but I know what we'd rather see is that his heart would be turned towards God. Please join us in praying for this student.
Tomorrow is the official start of our 2nd semester. I am so excited for it too! There have been some positive changes made with my schedule that should help this semester to be much less stressful for me and my students. For length's sake, my mom can fill you in on the details of this if you'd like. (or you can call us through skype, ya, pick that one!)
I really can't believe how quickly time is flying by here - and I keep hearing that the 2nd semester goes by 10x's faster, which is hard to believe since the 1st semester zoomed by! So, basically, we'll be home in no time! Although, I don't want to give the impression that we're just pining away and moping around here thinking of nothing but being home - that's not it at all! We actually didn't even know how well we'd adjusted until our mothers and Kimi came and we toted them around all over kingdom come with us! (Of course, there was that ONE time when I foolishly decided to go to Seoul alone and got myself lost coming home, but other than that, we're getting around pretty well;) And we adore the people here! We're learning so much! I know for me personally, there are two people here especially that have seemingly made it their life's calling to push me out of my box. This would be the wonderful couple by the names of Joshua and Esther Hong - our Korean Lotterer's. You can shuffle through our pictures on Flickr and find them. Just to remind you, Joshua is my co-teacher/principal and Esther is his wife who is also the English Curriculum Cooridinator for my grade. They are very forthright, honest, and encouraging people. I feel very honored to have them so directly involved in my (and Micah's too) life. It's so funny because the three of us could sit down to have a meeting about the Immersion Program, and then end up having a Sarah-get-out-of-your-box-be-bold-and-be-what-God-destined-you-to-be kind of meeting. And they do it with so much encouragement and such big smiles and such belief in their eyes. And the great thing is that they don't just disappear after that, but rather offer constant support and creative ideas to actually help me do it. Esther has actually told me that she is not just here to help me with my class, but that she is investing in my life! When you realize that somone is putting so much effort towards personally seeing that you succeed in what God wants, it just - well, it just breaks you. I am truly honored. And I know that they are definitely on my list of people that I will always be able to point at and say, "It's because of their sacrifice..."
As always, we deeply appreciate all of your prayers and comments. Micah is sick today, but I am sure he will want to update you as well when he's feeling a little better. Please keep his health in your prayers.
Thank you all for your faithful friendship! You're on my list too! Love, Sarah
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I can't wait till you guys vist pittsburg for christmas. i hope micah gets to feeling better.
-Dolphin
Wow! I've never been the second one to post a comment! Anyway, I'm so happy that your blog is up and running again. Ditto Dolphin.
-Shelden
I missed hearing from you both! I am so glad that you have been faithful to the call of God and that He is faithful to you. I am blessed each time I read your blogs. It awakens my soul to the goodness of God again. We love you!
"Its the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I can't wait! I will definatly (if I spelled that right) be praying for that student!love you and miss you so much! -Abigail XOXOXOXOXO HAHA
hey guys, i'm so glad things are working out so well still. i am so happy for you sarah about your new schedule. it will be great! i miss you guys more than you probably realize. i can't wait to see you in a few months! have fun at school and say hi to all the kids for me!
love you bunches and tons,
kimi
Ah, about that "we'll be home in no time" part...probably should hold off on that and see where the journey leads. Keep your God options open.
Actually, we're making flight arrangements this week for our visit home. So we will see you in no time. After that, another year.
i just want to tell you that i love you guys. the kids at the school miss you, too. my third graders were talking about how much they'll miss having Mr. Parsons as a substitute this year. it made me sad because i thought i was the only person thinking that.
see you soon.
You'd better be here "in no time"! :) I freaking miss you guys and I have big plans to be in Pitt while you are there.
It is so good to hear that you have such great friends there in South Korea taking care of you and pushing you and encouraging you. That is awesome. I never once thought that you spent all of your time counting down the days when you'd be back in Kansas though. It doesn't take much reading to realize how deeply your lives have been intertwined with the kids and adults alike there. It is so obvious in how you talk about everyone there that your lives have been deeply touched in such a significant way. Makes me cry every time... I love you guys. Micah, I sincerely hope you start feeling 100% again soon. Sorry that you are sick. I miss you both!
Em
You have no idea how much I was missing your blog. I was so excited to see a new post. I miss you guy's terribly. We had a bunch of international students at Rev. Church last night. It made me smile and I thought it might make you smile as well. We are staring Sat. morning english sessions for the international students next month. The sessions will be in our classroom on campus. I am excited to see what God will do and hope it will be an excellent way for us to serve them. I hope your new semester of school started off well. I had a shakey begining to my school year but I am smiling just the same. I promise to update my blog soon. And when I get the new painting done I will post a picture. By the way Micah I so enjoy the pics you have been posting. You are going to have a treasure trove when you return. Love you guy's!
Amy
Post a Comment