Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Still Standing

Hi there! I know there are still a few of you still reading, wondering what we're up to now, and how we've adjusted...so I will try to briefly catch you up to where we are and what we're doing now.
I am currently working as a paraeducator for the special education program in our area. I love it! I get the amazing opportunity to work with an autistic student...every day is so fascinating and creates an opportunity for me to learn.
Micah is currently in the process of starting a photography business. He wants to focus on wedding photography, but will still do other stuff too for friends and family. Things are slow, but we are hoping that they will pick up in the next year. Actually, if you think of us, we'd appreciate your prayers concerning our job and living situations. Things aren't as we pictured they'd be when we returned. We wanted to hit the ground running, and instead feel like we've been in an extended period of...well, the opposite of running:) It is hard to be patient; it is hard to wait for God's timing...ours just seemed so right! I'm sure many of you can relate to this:)
As to the process of adjusting back to American culture... ... ...this is difficult to express. We can never see things the same way we did before we left for Korea. Although we are very happy to be back, it has been difficult to really feel settled. Maybe we aren't supposed to feel that way. I think part of the reason we don't feel settled is that nothing about our job situations and living arrangements is settled. I'm learning to separate what adjustments are due to culture shock, and which are due to those other two items. I feel we've worked through most of the culture shock stuff, but there is a lingering unsettledness due to jobs and housing (I'm starting to feel like I'm repeating myself:). Although it would be easy to pray that God would just get us out of this situation, I felt today that God is challenging us to remain faithful with little, to be faithful during this "storm." It is my prayer that we pull through victorious, and with no regrets.
There is so much more that I could say, but it would turn into too much. Perhaps it would be best if I opened this up to questions. Are there any questions that any of you have been dying to ask, but just haven't had the opportunity to? Feel free to leave questions (and comments) in the comments section and we can either answer them in the comments section, or dedicate some posts to answering your questions. Good idea? I hope so:) We love you all! ~Sarah

5 comments:

Em said...

Hey!
Love that you have blogged again. :)
I, for one, would just like to say that I am beyond happy to have you back. I know it has been a while since you have been, but it is still worth saying. I have very much appreciated the time I have been able to spend with you guys and I love feeling like I have gotten to make up some of the lost time. :) You really can't know how very significant the time with you guys has been for me. I love you both! See you around. :)

aeriole said...

Hey sarah, Thanks for Blogging! I actually check your blog randomly and was so happy there was something new. :)
I loved the bit where you said maybe you weren't supposed to feel settled. Its a good thing to wonder. I'll be coming home soon and I keep thinking about it. I know i'll come back different, and I'll see things differently, but i wonder, just like you, how much of it will be culture shock to adjusting back or seeing things differently because my perspective has been changed.
I'm sure that didn't make an ounce of sense!
Anyway, I'm sure this is something I can talk to you about when I come home. :) You and Micah being there will be an added bonus. :D

Sarah said...

Great to hear from both of you! Em, we're praying for you. It has been wonderful to get to know you better, and I hope you always know that you can turn to us no matter what you're facing! Love ya!
Aeriole, I'm so excited for your return! I can't wait to pick your brain and just share experiences with you! And, yes, we still dance in our car:D

Mom Sterrett said...

Hi Sarah and Micah.
I was excited to see you had written. I hope we get to hear from some of your Korean family on your blog. That would be awesome. I echo Emily. It has been awhile since you've been home and we are all so very glad, even now, that you are home. I've grieved some over the unsettledness I've seen because I know it is a difficult place to be. Waiting is most difficult sometimes. Please know you are being prayed for and loved very, very much.

Kerri said...

So glad to read a post again! I am glad your perspectives are different and I do pray that you find steadiness in life and careers. Love you both!